Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Tale of Two Doors

I'm sure we will happily be painting our stamp on this house for as long as we live in it.  Latest focal point to receive a face lift: the back of our front door.  The foyer was a creamy/yellowy/tan, the trim was varnished wood and the door was doo doo maroon.  With no opportunity for natural light to come through the door into the foyer, it was very dark in there. 


We painted the walls and trim before moving in, but kept the door as-is just in case.  In case what?  I don't know.  But I didn't want to regret painting too many surfaces before living in the space first hand.  Caution be danged, the doo doo maroon had to go.
 

Yesterday I turned the (sad) Auburn game up loud and went to town with two coats of primer.  Today I turned on a baseball game (what?) and lathered on one coat of glossy white.  Needs one more coat tomorrow, then voila!  The front of the door looked okay, but was very dirty and almost creamy.  Now it too looks as bright and crisp as it's rear.  No more doo doo maroon. 


In other door news...  Friday morning I set my alarm for 6:15am to take the recycling out.  I was soo pleased with myself as I opened the back door at 6:30 and walked up and down the driveway in my jammies thanking God for this rare moment of early morning consciousness, as it was allowing me to see the sunrise and breathe the very crisp and refreshing 50 something degree air.  When I discovered the back door was locked I went numb.  Matt was at work, I had no phone, no spare key, no bra, nothing!  The basement was locked and there were no tools of help in the garage.  I think I stood there in shock for a long time wondering how in the blue blazes I was getting out of this pickle.  I was standing on the stoop with a brick in my hand (that I already hurled at the window once, but too tenderly to leave a scratch) when I heard an already trusted neighbor taking his trash out.  Thank.  The.  Lord.  By 7:30 I was back inside and no glass had been shattered.  But we did pry it out of place and make a small mess.  Nothing that duct tape couldn't fix. 


But I didn't have any duct tape.  So I used Scotch tape and bubble wrap. 


Until I bought duct tape. 

4 comments:

Sarah Grace said...

The door looks marvelous!! Good job!

Anonymous said...

I like it. Can't wait to see it!

Jan Werner said...

MUCH BETTER looking door!
you better find a good hiding place in the garage for a spare key!LOL

Your bedroom also looks cozy- now about those curtains.....

keep the pics a coming! love to see them!
xoxoxo Aunt Jan

Mandy said...

I love the door. Very nice choice! So sorry you got locked out! I'm glad you had some help!!