Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Trendy Names

I was thinking about names today.  How trendy ones come and go with a generation (Prince & Apple), others predate their popularity peak (Cameron & Jenna) and how Biblical classics stick around for ages (Matthew & Sarah).  Not a new thought, but fun to think about.

My friends have named their children things like: Maddox, Mac, Harrison, Molly, Pierce, Jackson, Ethan, Audrey, Francis, Emma, Seth, Kayden, Kylie and Kennedy.

My friends names include: Valerie, Natalie, Stephanie, Hillary, Haley, Ashley, Whitney, Jennifer, Julie, Krystal, Shannon, Allison and Michelle.

Our mothers names include: Janet, Florence, Melissa, Marcia, Carol, Connie, Peggy, Nancy, Rosemary, Sandra, Barbara, Donna and Kathy. 

Our grandmothers names have the most in common:  Grandma, Granny, Nana & Meme.

I love my name.  First, middle and last.  Love love love it.  I've always read "Jenna" means "little bird."  Tonight I learned it also has Arabic roots with the word "heaven."  I also learned the name was made popular by the TV show Dallas... and in 1983 the character was played by Priscilla Presley.  Wonder if Mom was a fan.

I love my brother's name too.  Cameron Reid.

I remember the very first time I encountered another Jenna.  My Granddad was indulging us at Burger King and we snuck in a few minutes on the playground.  I was probably 10 or 11 and heard a random Mom call out my name, to which a much younger little girl responded.  I remember standing there kinda baffled as I processed the idea of someone else having my name. 

I also remember once after being called "Jenna Claire" in public (lovingly... our middle names were never a sign of oncoming discipline) a stranger who overheard Mom call me responded with, "well that's a pretty southern name."  We were at Wiregrass Commons Mall outside of Kirkland's.  Funny what random memories can stick with a brain.

What does your name mean?  Any stories to go with?

7 comments:

Natalie said...

My name means Christmas Child or Nativity. It also carries special significance as a family name on both sides of my family. I love my name, too! I think that it fits me.

Peg said...

My name means "pearl" which is neat as I LOVE pearls, wear them almost all the time (hence my name by many the "Pearl Girl"). Although, I HATE MY NAME!!!! Always have, always will. I wanted to have my twins name, Patricia. And no...my name is NOT Margaret!!! It is just plain ole' ugly Peggy. And growing up kids would call me Piggy to be mean. Maybe that's why I don't like it. I love family names, but YOU know how icky my family names are. Except Brandon of course, after my Dad.

Mandy said...

Amanda- Light of my life, Mandy- From the famous Barry Manilow song. I think my parents liked the song and found the more "proper" version later! :)

matt said...

My name means "Gift from God". I'll say!

Peg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jasony said...

All three of my names added up mean "Youthful bird doctor" or "Healer of young birds". Weird.

Brockefanie said...

Stefanie means crown and comes from greek. Also the feminine form of Stephen- popular in the early Christian era after the martyr Stephen. PS if I was a boy I would have been stephen. :)