Monday, June 8, 2009

Matt's Pilot Post

Matt here. I've decided to start contributing to Manna's World, so here goes my first post.

To begin with, yes I'm now a graduate. But it turns out that the diploma hasn't been my ticket to relaxation. Because we're in somewhat of a state of limbo, the physics department at Baylor was kind enough to hire me for the summer as a "temporary employee". I'm doing similar work to what I did as a grad student, but I don't have to teach (hooray!). I'm just as busy, working almost as many hours, and actually waking up earlier. The biggest difference is that the work is a lot easier than research, so it's been a nice break so far, despite the hours.

Also, there is the job situation - a frequent question directed towards us both. As of right now, the most promising opportunity is an organization in the DC-Baltimore metroplex. I have gone through several rounds of several types of interviews, taken several types of tests, have been approved by the hiring committee, and last week was informed that I have the job, but because of the need to shuffle some papers around the official final offer will come until a bit later (this week, next month - who knows). From what I can tell it is a great job and will be a perfect fit for us both. Also, Jenna will finally be free of her current eight to five.

Because of some details too involved to elaborate on here, they are not able to provide house hunting trips to new hires. So, at their suggestion we booked our own trip for next week. My cousin Diana has been kind enough to let us stay with her, her husband Andrew, and their kids Evan and Erik, who live in the area. We'll be focusing our search on the Annapolis area (mostly because we like seafood). Should be a fun trip, and it will be nice for me to see the area while not worrying about interviews and tests, and for Jenna to see it for the first time. We're looking forward to some time with family as well.

And that is pretty much everything we can tell you. All we know is that we'll be in Waco for the rest of June and the first few days of July. After that our life is once again a great big black box other than "Maryland". We'll miss the sweet tea, southern accents, and Texas barbecue, but nevertheless new life here we come.

7 comments:

faithegriffin said...

Our lives sound a bit similar right now! I am heading to Nashville in August (provided that I find housing). Whoop! Glad I found Manna's World. I am intrigued. :>)

Peg said...

Good post son!

Sarah Grace said...

Great post. And thanks for the info about your job. I've been curious. I guess I can say congrats!? Can't wait to see what develops...

laura.murphree said...

How exciting for you two! I hope you have a great trip. Just think you could soon be snow birds!

Nana and Papa said...

We're so impressed that your physics degree actually provided the writing skills shown in your blog ... great work, Matt! We're anxiously awaiting that call to say that you and Jenna are "movin' to Maryland"!

Ashley said...

Hey so good to know this stuff! Life is good. It sounds like you'll have to say good bye to fish sticks.

Unknown said...

HA you will miss something of Texas! and something (someones) in Texas will miss you!
S&B