Thursday, January 22, 2009

Charleston


A long-awaited adventure over the Christmas break was a day trip to Charleston.  I've wanted to go for years, so part of our Christmas gift was making the drive over from Aiken.  The downtown/battery area is just amazing!  I felt like I was on a movie set the entire time, but this is what movie sets are modeled after.  And what was more amazing is that people still live in all the grand ornate and cute quaint homes that have been around for a few hundred years.  If you ever have to opportunity to go, please do, and try to make it in the fall/winter months during off season.   We took an hour long carriage ride through the old city and marveled at the buildings and homes and tried to flex our minds around the history and money that made the city what it is.  Every inch of the place was covered in detailed charm.  Gates, balconies, paths, bricks, cobblestones, statues, plants, gardens, stairs, details everywhere!  Enjoy some of the pictures (thanks to my new camera) and know these hardly do the place justice...













4 comments:

SPECIAL SPECK said...

Oooh!! I want to go...Charleston does look magical..and at BU I did this whole project on "Low-country living" in that area...thanks for the photos--and such blue sky! Glad your new posts are up...you were a bit AWOL for a while too...all I had to go on was "Rowdy, Rowdy." Ha ha. Love you! Happy Chinese New Year!

Peg said...

Great job with the pictures. I'm ready to return whenever you are!!! I don't think I can be ready before noon today. Love, Peg

Bry and Joe said...

You are a great photographer!! We love Charleston! Joe's good friend lives there so we try to go often. Next time you should ride bikes over the bridge to Fort Sumter! That's a fun bike ride! :)

Meet the Hankins said...

I love your Charleston pictures! Thank you for adding these!