Saturday, November 8, 2008

Joy in a Ball of Fur

It all began when a co-worker found a orange tabby kitten with blue eyes in the parking lot at work Thursday afternoon...   Though Matt did not really want me to, he gave the ok to bring him home to see if Lucy would be ok with it.  If she wasn't, we'd take him to the Humane Society.  It was either that or leave him in the parking lot.  Lucy didn't take to the kitten, so we called around but no friends needed a ball of fur to play with.  All the while the kitten ran all around the back courtyard playing and jumping in my lap having a hay day.  Soooo cute & friendly!  I stayed strong and didn't put up a fight when Matt said it was time to take him to the Humane Society.  Off we went knowing that someone looking for a friendly kitten would be thrilled the next day.

Friday I went to work and thought about kitten all day.  My co-workers were sad to know we couldn't keep it.  I held back from calling Matt to plea with him that we go back and give it another try before someone else gets the kitten.  I knew he wouldn't budge.  He's a pretty firm guy.  I told myself that other cute orange kitty's were waiting to be born later on when we could get one.  It was going to be a normal weekend for us and a very special one for the kitty's new owners.  

At 5:10 I unlocked our backdoor thinking about sorting whites & darks and then going to the laundry-mat when out from the living room darts an orange ball of fur!!!  I was SHOCKED!  Matt went back to the Humane Society first thing that morning and got permission from them to keep the kitten over the weekend to see if the two cats would eventually get along better!  I was so surprised that he went to the effort to do that.  Not that they equate to the same shock value, but the only other time I can think of that he took me by such surprise was when he proposed!  

Now it's Saturday morning and Lucy has done better, but not good enough.  She's outside as is normal and the kitten is asleep on the couch.  Hopefully it will all work out by Monday...

7 comments:

Peg said...

Good luck little kitty's!!

Nana and Papa said...

I hope the 2nd kitty has a better time on Sunday with 1st kitty. Siblings do need to get along with each other!!! Let us know what happens!

The Murphrees said...

I hope you get to keep the kitty! Pets are so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Hope your kittys are getting along. She doesn't look like a Viet Cong Kitty. Matt will know what that means. :) It is a cute kitty.
Judy

Anonymous said...

So what is the update? Did they end up getting along?

SPECIAL SPECK said...

Whoa! Way to go Matt! I hope it all works out...cats are weird like that though...thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Nana and Papa said...

happy birthday,Matt. we love you and are so proud of our son!!! mom and dad #2.