Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mount Vernon

Two weekends ago we made the relatively short urban drive to Mount Vernon, the beloved Potomac oasis of George Washington.  The weather was cold, but lovely.   December highlights of the grounds include viewing the third floor of the house, seeing this year's pardoned Thanksgiving turkey, and the traditional Christmas camel.  Huh?  Yep. 

This was Matt's first trip, but I went about 15 years ago (sheesh!) with my family.  It was exciting to verify images that had floated around in my head for all those years with the real thing again.  I was proud of me for correctly remembering a lot.  And thankful my (our) parents were able to expose us to great places like this as kids.  I wonder how much Cameron remembers.

The property is gorgeous and other than being hustled quickly from room to room, it was a great peek into the past.  Perhaps the only truly negative thing is that our house hunting hopes and dreams have now soared to a place where they will most definitely be completely deflated by reality.  (Not really, but you know...)




I'd be happy with the kitchen alone as our entire home.

Oh the peaceful solitude!  No wonder George liked it so much.

Beaches, forests, pastures and hills.  This property has it all.

Preserved evidence of a once self-sufficient estate.

Eye catching red roofed barn and other buildings.

I wonder if any of their grand-kids dared to sled down this mother of a hill.

Somewhere in a shoebox, there is a 15 year old picture very similar to this one.  But it has a brother in it, not a husband.   

2 comments:

Peg said...

GREAT, GREAT writing and photos. And what a beautiful day you guys had. Can you believe I grew up in Richmond and we never went? Thanks for posting and see you next week!!!!! Ho-ho-ho!!!

Nana and Papa said...

Happy to see you back in the blogosphere! Great pictures, although y'all did look pretty chilly out there on the river.