Friday, August 6, 2010

Home / Hotel

I miss our first home and neighborhood. I like our current place for certain qualities, but I really miss the place we sometimes still refer to as home. The atmosphere there satisfied my "quaint and cozy" desires. We were home when we parked next to the grassy yard, passed through the rod-iron gate, stepped onto the back stoop and walked through the kitchen door. I miss that.

Our second home is good too. But we both had to adjust big time. Parking in a five story concrete garage and walking down the long hotel-like hallway doesn't have the same cozy effect when coming home. Living in a shopping center is convenient & exciting. But the pro of being surrounded by convenient things makes way for the con of being surrounded by commercial things. This complex is so different than any I would have imagined myself living in. I am grateful for the many wonderful things about it, but am eager to one day find another neighborhood to call home. Home is where your heart is and sadly my heart ain't here. So when we decided to sign a second year's lease it was hard to say goodbye to the idea of renting elsewhere. Now I will have to learn from our first year here how to better enjoy the second. Because one day I'm sure I'll miss this place too.

Here's to the pursuit of turning an address into a home.

3 comments:

Peg said...

So sorry your heart "ain't there" anymore. I do understand your feelings. I love this quote, "It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere." Sounds like you understand that quote very well. Hang in there DIL!!!

SPECIAL SPECK said...

Hi! been missing you guys and missing Austin Ave. too. That was such a great phase of life! : )

Anonymous said...

You guys had a great first home and I feel honored to have shared it with you for so many months (you are a very patient lady to put up with 2 musicians on extended stay). We're currently house-sitting for friends in Colorado Springs, and this is pretty much the only place that would trump our own place for "home" feelings. I'll miss it when we leave on Wednesday.
Here's to you both in your search for a permanent home there. Stick with it: you both have may years to go, and someday this brief period will look razor thin in comparison with all the years you'll spend at your true home.

Jason