Friday, January 15, 2010

Reconnecting & Ravens

Yesterday I had the chance to reconnect with a friend from high school youth group days. We both moved to Maryland from Texas in August - small world! We, along with her husband, 3 year old and 3 month old boys had Mexican for lunch, drove around looking at neighborhoods (we both foresee eventually not renting) and then just us girls found ourselves sipping tea and cider and eating scones at Reynolds Tavern. It is neat to know someone from "home" just a few miles away.

This morning my husband invited me to breakfast :) He knew his upcoming work day was going to be slow, so we went downstairs to the diner for blueberry pancakes and Belgian waffles to connect a little before our weekend guest arrives. An hour or so afterward I was dilly-dallying in the apartment when out of the blue I heard what sounded like a marching band playing in the street right below me?!? It's 9:50am and though I'm awake it still seemed kinda early?!? I couldn't see anything from the windows, but after walking downstairs I discovered that the jewelry store directly below our apartment was hosting a Baltimore Ravens promo event and sure enough, a portion of the marching band was playing in the alcove directly below our apartment. How fun! (Hopefully the rest of the building thought so too) Inside purple and gold jerseys were walking around everywhere as fans waited for things to be raffled and auctioned off. Cheerleaders were there in their toothpick shaped, orangish tan skin, long lash & poofy haired glory... signing swimsuit calendars... ugh. I think there was a football player or two. And of course, the costumed mascot walking around as well as two live ravens. I chatted with the band director and a few of his people, who gladly welcomed me to Maryland and insisted I be a Ravens fan, not Redskins, then headed back upstairs grateful for a fun way to kick off Friday.

2 comments:

Peg said...

My morning getting ready for work was not nearly as exciting as yours. What a way to start the day. Not a fan of swimsuit calendars, but long lashes and poofy hair isn't all bad. Have you not seen some of my pictures from the 70's? :o)

Brockefanie said...

That's so fun! And definitely become a Ravens fan instead of Redskins! I wish I could come sip tea and cider with you! That place sounds cool! Miss you!