Friday, November 13, 2009

Honor Flight

Great things happened this past Tuesday. The lesser one being that I made it into (and out of) DC all by myself. Since I rarely drive or go anywhere this felt like a big accomplishment. Another point on my adulthood scorecard.

Though I did not come back home with the exact experience I hoped to, it was still a day that warmed my heart and exceeded my expectations. I think my Grandad feels the same way.

Grandad was one of many WWII Veterans who were blessed with the gift of a one-day whirlwind trip to Washington DC, the highlight of which being a tour of the World War II Memorial. A synopsis of this amazing program, the Honor Flight, can be seen on this video and this second one. Unfortunatley, his tour bus group had some major delays and despite my 4.5 hour wait at the memorial, we were not able to meet at planned. We probably missed each other by 30 or 45 minutes, but it was getting late and for safety reasons I needed to start my trek back home to pick Matt up from work. Sad though it was, the day was not lost. Grandad had a marvelous time and I did get to see and visit with other Honor Flight groups that came through.

The video clips above capture what I was able to feel and learn more than I could ever try to write. I can't come up with the words to describe what it was like to be there with the men who knew the war firsthand. Men told me things like, "I served under Patton," and "I thanked ole Harry countless times for pushing that button. I was next to go to Japan and if the bomb hadn't gone off, surely I woldn't be here today." I asked one man if he had been to DC before and his happy reply was yes, but I was surprised to learn it was only because he had made a pact with a war buddy that if either of them died that the other would go visit their family. And so, this dear boy at the time flew from Moline, IA to Mt. Airy, MD to spend quality time with his friend's family and girlfriend in their state of grief. Afterward he made a side trip into Washington.

Words just can not describe. So emotionally stirring and by far one of my best life experiences. Honor these men and all veterans. They will always deserve it.

View of a Smithsonian while sitting on a bench.

Yellow shirts are veterans and blue shirts are guardians (the helpers). It was so amazing and emotional to see the veterans arrive.

They were so grateful to be there and in awe that they were actually there.

Being the day before Veterans Day, there were many other WWII groups there and also lots of Viet Nam veterans.

Getting to see their Memorial

Group picture

A WWI memorial around the corner.

Half mast flags around the Washington Monument.


Another Smithsonian view & POW flag at the Memorial.

Where's Waldo... I mean Kilroy.

There are computers with a database of WWII veterans at the memorial. It can also be accessed here where you can look for or add an honoree to the list.

1 comment:

Peg said...

WONDERFUL UPDATE!!!!!! And as you know, Matt's grandad (my Daddy) was also a WWII and Pearl Harbor survivor. Know it was a very emotional day and sorry you missed your Granddad. These men and women derserve ALL the respect anyone can give!!! THANK YOU VERTERANS!!!!